Zain Legal & Co

How to Get Help with Court Fees – ex160 Form

How to Get Help with Court Fees – ex160 Form
Spread the love

If you’re headed to court, you might already be burdened financially. No matter the type of UK court, whether it’s the Family Court, the Court of Protection, County Court, the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum, or the Employment Tribunal—you’re likely seeking compensation for a financial hit. And, you’re already paying fees for legal services and time off of work.

On top of all that, the court has its own fees that you must pay. Examples of court fees include hearing fees, adjournment fees, and application fees. Here are some examples of UK court fees, depending on the type of case you’re involved in:

Type of Case/Court Court Fee
Divorce £550
Bankruptcy Application  £60
Claim Money You’re Owed £35
Court of Protection Hearing Fee  £485
Court of Protection Application Fee  £365


Luckily, there’s a way to get help with court fees. 

Am I Eligible for Court Fee Exemption?

Eligibility depends on your savings, income, and benefits. Contrary to assumed belief, you don’t have to be a UK citizen to be eligible for court fee exemptions. Non-UK nationals can also get help with court fees. However, in some cases, they must be present in the country at the time of their application. 

To be eligible for court fees exemption, you must usually have less than £3,000 in savings and assets. You must also be on low income, or receiving benefits. Some examples of eligible benefits include:

  • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Scottish Civil Legal Aid (not Advice and Assistance, or Advice by Way of Representation)
  • Universal Credit (only applicable if you earn less than £6,000 a year

Applicants over the age of 61, or applicants paying fees more than £1,000 might also be eligible. Additionally, people who earn more than a gross income of £1,085 per month might be eligible if they have financial dependents. 

Usually, only individuals apply for help with fees. However, some exceptions apply. For example, business owners, charities, and not-for-profit organizations involved in a Supreme Court case, and companies applying to the Gamblign jurisdiction of the First-tier Tribunal can also apply. 

How to Apply for Help with Court Fees

You can use the UK government’s Form EX160 to apply for help with fees, also known as “fee remission.” Using this form, you can either obtain full court fee exemption, or partial relief from the fees. Follow these steps to get help with court fees:

  1. Fill out the “Help with Fees” Form (Form EX160).

You’ll need to provide information about your income, benefits, family, court case, and contact details. You’ll also need to have your National Insurance number or Home Office reference number handy, as well as your case number if you have one, and court or tribunal form number

  1. Submit Form EX160 to the Court

After filling out the form, you must submit it to the court, tribunal, or probate office dealing with your case. Make sure you have your legal representative review the application before you submit it. You can also submit an application online

Final Thoughts

Going to court doesn’t have to be such a financial burden. Court fee exemptions and affordable legal services can help you save money in your court case. If you require support with a case, contact our affordable legal team for a free consultation





Take a look at our client testimonials to see how we’ve helped others in similar situations.

Click ‘stay’ to read them now.